You don’t have to tell me…I know New Year’s Resolutions are cliche and lame, and I scoff at them normally. That acknowledged, I made a few this year because they are just the things I should just be doing anyway! This year feels different, probably because of that small detail that I am someone’s wife now. So making NYR’s didn’t seem like too bad of an idea, since marriage is all about continually striving to be a better person for yourself and your person, you know.
My personal New Year started today, since this was my first day back from a fabulous trip to New Smyrna Beach, FL with the whole family, and it was my first day back to work after a bit of intermittent time off. I was absolutely not trying to be healthy when there were Waffle Houses to be patronized, boxloads of French pastries to mow, and dirty martinis to sling back after a hard day at the beach. I had an amazing time with Mike, my cousins Joey and Carly, my parents, and all my aunts and uncles. It really was a trip to remember. Here are some of the highlights:
Decadent French Pastries from Mon Delice
Eating at Blackbeard’s Inn – My New Favorite NSB Eatery
Alas, today was back to the polar vortex of Cleveland, and my “New” New Year’s Day is now over. I have stuck to everything so far. So disciplined, NetteF!
Here are my Five Resolutions for 2015:
1. Reusable Bags Always – NO MORE
WIRE HANGARS PLASTIC BAGS. EVER! I moved my massive collection of cloth bags from their hiding place in the furnace room into the back of my Jeep where they are now with me everywhere I go so forgetting them is no excuse. I gathered up every plastic bag in the house and recycled them all, and it smelled of freedom.
2. Do something active and enjoyable every day. This should be easy since I have been doing this for the last eight months. And thanks to my love affair with Pure Barre, I have no doubt about this one. The Douchebag is back on the air and I just discovered OITNB so, really, I should be dying to hop on my mill and enjoy some Teeve, which I vow to enjoy more of this year. More shitty TV, less reading about politics and climate change. Wait, one may ask, shouldn’t that be the other way around? Nope, not if you are me. Enough said on that topic.
3. Replace my normal black coffee in the AM with this instead: 8 oz. Hot Water and add 1 teaspoon each of organic cinnamon powder and raw organic honey, and the juice of half an organic lemon. The benefits of this simple drink are endless! This is especially helpful with respiratory issues and can aid in weight loss. It also has a detoxifying effect, and it just makes you feel nice inside.
4. No more store-bought toothpaste or toxic deods! These are two of the most toxic things sold in stores that everyone uses. I made my own toothpaste from a simple recipe of organic coconut oil, baking soda and peppermint essential oil. I have been researching how to make my own deods, but I haven’t perfected it yet, so I am using this for now. It was the very last mainstream toxic product left in my personal care arsenal. Vamoose, Degree!
5. Write, Write, Write – Now that the wedding is over and I have my life back and some extra leisure time on my hands, this is going to be the year I finally bring the first love of my life back into it. With the winter hibernation coming up, I will be whipping up all kinds of delicious treats and we have a list of home improvement projects 17 miles long, so I doubt I will be short on material. I will hold myself accountable and I will do this. Dean always said the saddest thing in the world is wasted talent. Not writing has been the fuel for my insomnia and the ding to my self-worth for far too long.
Our NetteF New Year’s Day Meal was a hit today too! It was one of the best things ever to accidentally come out of my kitchen. My best nonhuman/noncat friend Pinterest and I had much bonding time together in Florida, so my options for trying something new were vast. But anyone who knows me knows that Asian is my go-to cuisine anytime I need to make a food decision. Nine of 10 times, Asian it is. So that’s what I went with tonight. Plus, I was dying to use these adorable new bowls we yuppily picked out together as marrieds at Crate & Barrel at Christmastime. Check out the recipe for Asian Beef with Mushroom and Snow Pea and Water Chestnuts that we died over tonight.
What are your resolutions? Is 2015 the year you ditch the flouride, aluminum, plastic bags, pick up your pen and meet me at the Barre? That sounds like a set of resolutions even I won’t scoff at.